CPSP International Scholarship Programme
CPSP International Scholarship Programme at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (LTHT)
International Training Fellowships October 2022 APPLY ONLINE
Only Pakistani passport holders can apply.
Trainees must have the consent of their current supervisor to proceed for the scholarship program.
All those trainees who are in their third year of training are eligible to apply for the junior Fellowship.
- As part of the partnership with Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, the President of CPSP is pleased to announce that the College has agreed clinical placements for CPSP Trainees and Fellows. Leeds provides an excellent environment to further develop clinical skills and leadership qualities the scholarship is underpinned by on-going supportive pastoral care. CPSP has approved the training provided during these clinical placements as meeting the College requirements for postgraduate examinations of the College and for continuous professional development.
- LTHT is a regional and national centre for specialist treatment, world renowned for research and clinical trials and also the local hospital for the city of Leeds. We provide all specialist services except cardio-thoracic transplantation.
- We are one of the largest hospitals in Europe and employ almost 2% of England’s entire NHS staff in Leeds alone. Our Success is down to the value we place on our staff; all new members will complete a comprehensive Trust and local induction to the hospital and their respective departments and be provided with on-going local support from your own Educational supervisor in conjunction with the CPSP. Structured training will be provided for 2 years and will be recognised for training by the CPSP. As such you will be joining a dynamic and multicultural trainee body, working alongside local and other international trainees.
- The city of Leeds is one of the fastest growing cities in the UK. With a thriving economy, excellent road, rail and air connections, Leeds is the UK’s second largest financial centre and is home to many different communities so we are confident you will soon feel at home here. To find out more about Leeds please visit https://www.visitleeds.co.uk
- The college will provide a stipend through its scholarship programme to Trainees and Fellows selected for these placement for the whole period of the fellowship (2 years). Further information can be obtained from the College.
LTHT is proud to offer scholarship for senior fellow in the following areas
For Senior Fellows
- 1. Anaesthetics
This position is based in the Anaesthetic Departments at St James’s University Hospital and the Leeds General Infirmary. The post holder will train in Anaesthesia for adult patients.
The successful candidate will gain experience of working in the UK National Health Service and work on the Leeds trainee rotation which includes anaesthesia for Major General Surgery, Urology, Gynaecology, Cardiac, Thoracics, Transplant (liver and kidney), Opthalmics, Vascular, Neuro, ENT, Maxillo facial surgery, Trauma and Plastic Surgery and training in general, neuro and cardiac intensive care medicine. During their placement at Leeds, the successful applicant will be encouraged and supported in sitting the final FRCA examination
- 2. Microbiology
The post would be particularly suitable for trainees with some general medical experience to understand the clinical application of medical microbiology in the UK.
The successful applicant would take part in the general medical microbiology working patterns, including taking telephone queries for advice, authorising microbiology results and liaising blood cultures and other critical sample results, as well as antimicrobial stewardship and speciality MDTs/ward rounds and infection prevention and control liaison and advice. There may be an opportunity to take part in on call rota out of hours depending on the start date and experience of the candidate.
- 3. Endocrine Surgery
This post is designed to provide training in Endocrine Surgery and to support the existing Endocrine Surgery team. It is suitable for doctors who have prior surgical training and wish to gain more experience in Endocrine Surgery or are thinking of pursuing it as a specialist career. This post will have both training opportunities and a service aspect and the intention is that the successful applicant will develop and expand his / her skills in Endocrine Surgery during their time in the department, with a view to developing sub-specialty skills over time.
The Endocrine Surgery department is centralised at SJUH and is an integrated unit with a dedicated ward and adjacent outpatient facilities.
The main areas of clinical interest in the department include all aspects of thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal disease, both benign and malignant. We work closely with the departments of endocrinology, radiology and pathology.
- 4. Cardiology
This appointment will be based at the West Yorkshire Heart Centre, Leeds General Infirmary, one of the largest and most modern tertiary cardiac centres in the UK, serving a population of over 3 million. There are 6 state of the art Cardiac Catheter laboratories, with over 2000 PCI procedures, including 24/7 primary PCI, over 900 invasive electrophysiology/cardiac ablation procedures and in excess of 700 implantable device procedures per annum, making the West Yorkshire Heart Centre one of the highest volume units in the UK.
There will be commitment to a minimum 2 general cardiology per week as well as a contribution to the general cardiology Specialty Registrar rota (full shift). The successful applicant will also be expected to support inpatient care under the supervision of the consultant team. An expanding research and clinical trials programme is in place in which the successful candidate will be expected to participate fully, with a protected session for research and audit in the timetable. A tailored training programme can be negotiated around this service provision.
- 5. Spinal
The Fellowship is an integrated spine fellowship enabling the successful applicant to be exposed to care of all spinal patients both Orthopaedic spine and Spinal Neurosurgery
The post is suitable for a committed spinal surgical trainee who may wish to obtain extra experience in spinal surgery and has an interest in clinical research. The Fellowship will offer higher grade training Orthopaedic Spinal Surgery and Neurosurgical Spinal Surgery.
For Junior Fellows
- 1. Cardiology
This is a fantastic opportunity for those desiring a more sustained experience in cardiology, cardiac surgery and cardiac anaesthesia at a large, modern, tertiary cardiac centre.
The service is supported by a number of foundation year doctors and IMT 1-2 doctors as well as Advanced Care Practitioners. This will allow flexibility to tailor training to requirements, including experience in outpatient clinics, catheter lab time, operating theatre or ICU observation and cardiac imaging.
It is intended that the successful applicant would be involved in audit and quality improvement projects, including the chance to collaborate with researchers to present at national meetings and publish work. Teaching opportunities exist across the Heart Team for those who wish to develop an educational portfolio.
- 2. Specialty and Integrated Medicine
Post-holders will be based within the SIM Clinical Service Unit (CSU) at St James's University Hospital (SJUH) which covers Acute Internal Medicine (AIM), General Internal Medicine (GIM), Elderly Medicine, and Diabetes and Endocrinology (D&E).
They will receive training in all of these areas on a rotational basis, with time on our Acute Medical Units, a High Observations Units, in-patient wards, and out-patient clinics. Excellent experience will therefore be provided in the management of acutely ill people, the investigation and treatment of a wide range of general medical conditions, as well rehabilitation and discharge planning.
The department is also currently developing a Same Day Emergency Care service, which will allow post holders to develop skills in rapid assessment and triage, and ambulatory care.
- 3. Spinal
The Fellowship is an integrated spine fellowship enabling the successful applicant to be exposed to care of all spinal patients both Orthopaedic spine and Spinal Neurosurgery.
The post is suitable for a committed spinal surgical trainee who may wish to obtain extra experience in spinal surgery and has an interest in clinical research. The Fellowship will offer higher grade training Orthopaedic Spinal Surgery and Neurosurgical Spinal Surgery
- 4. Paediatric Surgery
We are inviting applicants to join our busy but welcoming Paediatric Surgical team at Leeds General Infirmary. This role is suitable for applicants at ST1-2 with experience in Paediatric Surgery, ideally keen to develop a career in the field.
We deliver care for, and training in, a wide range of Paediatric Surgery specialties, including Upper GI, Thoracics, Oncology, Lower GI, Hepatobiliary Surgery (one of only 3 UK units), Urology and MIS. We have our own equipment to perform Robotic surgery and an OR1. We are a designated trauma unit and work alongside colleagues in Liver and Renal Transplantation and in Paediatric Cardiac Surgery. Our regional neonatal unit serves a large population and our throughput across all age groups is large as we provide a regional and supraregional service for Yorkshire and Humber and beyond.
This post will deliver care to paediatric surgical patients on wards, liaising with colleagues in other specialties and hospitals, seeing acutely sick children and clerking in new patient, composing discharge summaries and requesting investigation. There will be opportunity to assist in theatre and clinics as well as providing on-call cover.
- 5. Paediatric Medicine
This role is suitable for applicants at ST1/2 LST with experience in paediatrics. It is ideally suited to candidates wishing to work in a large teaching hospital which provides many specialist services and is ideal for anyone wishing to pursue a career in paediatrics.
We deliver care for, and training in, a wide range of paediatric specialties, including neonatology, paediatric intensive care, congenital cardiology and cardiac surgery, neurology, haematology & oncology, endocrinology, diabetes, rheumatology, respiratory and cystic fibrosis, nephrology, gastroenterology , hepatology , general surgery and urology and general paediatrics.
This post will deliver care to paediatric patients on wards, liaising with colleagues in other specialties and hospitals, seeing acutely sick children and clerking in new patient, composing discharge summaries and requesting investigation. Trainees are allocated to attend 2 full days of clinics every 14 weeks.
As the holder of this role you will be expected to assist on wards and in clinics as well as providing on-call cover. We offer supervision of education of every doctor and encourage participation in audit and research.
- 1. Anaesthetics
General Eligibility Requirements
- All applicants must have completed as a minimum;
Junior Fellows FCPS (or equivalent) Part 1 Intermediate Module (IMM) is mandatory Advanced Life Support Certificate or equivalent 3 years post House Officer level Senior Fellows Full FCPS status (IMM & FCPS Parts 1 & 2) 4+ years experience in the specialty you are applying to Advanced Life Support Certificate or equivalent
- In order to take up a scholarship you must have passed either the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) OR The Occupational English Test (OET), and your IELTS / OET certificate must show:
Please refer to the table below for the minimum levels in each of the tests that are accepted by the LTHT:
IELTS Minimum Score Listening 7.0 Reading 7.0 Writing 7.0 Speaking 7.0 Overall 7.5 OET Minimum Score Listening B Reading B Writing B Speaking B Overall B
- Both the IELTS and OET certificates are valid for 2 years and must be valid at the time you apply for your GMC registration.
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is a GMC Approved Sponsoring Body for this scheme and will sponsor the applicants GMC registration.
Please note that if you don’t have Advanced Life Support Certificate or equivalent, you can register/enroll yourself from ASD (Advanced Skill Department) of CPSP and attach the registration/enrollment receipt along with your Online Application Form.
Closing Date for Applications
- Applications must be submitted by 30th June 2022
- All applications MUST be full, completed and submitted online to the College using the LTHT application form. APPLY ONLINE
NOTE: IT IS REGRETTED THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS CANNOT BE PROCESSED.
NOTE : For Junior Fellowship it is mandatory to apply after IMM and for Senior Fellowship it is mandatory to apply after FCPS. Candidates should not have a gap in their employment history and serving in Pakistan for atleast one year.
- Interview date will be announced later.
- For more information on our hospitals please visit https://jobs.leedsth.nhs.uk/