Healthcare Systems Management - HCSM
Department of Medical Education (DME) of the CPSP is the hub of all academic activities and was established in 1979 in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO).It was designated as “National Teachers Training Centre” by the government of Pakistan in the same year. It got designated as “WHO Collaborating Centre for Training in Research and Educational Development of Health Personnel” in 1996 and enjoys this position to date.
The DME, besides performing other functions, initiated two diplomas in 2004: one in Health Professions Education (HPE) and second in Health Care Systems Management (HCSM). HPE was upgraded to college membership in 2009 while HCSM was upgraded to membership level (MCPS) in 2014.
Transform healthcare delivery into an effective and efficient system, which could provide equitable and affordable access to the masses of the country.
To educate and train healthcare professionals for administrative and management positions and leadership roles to organize, manage and monitor health delivery facilities and provide an effective and efficient system of health delivery.
Impart knowledge and skills to healthcare professionals in healthcare systems management. The goal will be achieved by providing & testing knowledge in a structured manner through semester based program.
The program has been designed for candidates interested in pursuing their career in healthcare management. It is geared towards those working in public or private healthcare organizations; such as teaching institutes, hospitals, community based organizations and non-governmental organizations. It prepares students in becoming effective leaders and managers for managing health care delivery and becoming an agent of social change.
The characteristics unique to this program include:
- Combination of contact sessions and supervised learning approach; providing opportunity for skill enhancement and on-the-job application.
- Highly trained and competent faculty
- Contributes in overcoming the scarcity of health mangers of the country
- Application to government sector, international agencies, private sector and other healthcare organizations.
- Career advancement
The curriculum follows the principles of adult learning. This enables the participants to activate prior knowledge and assimilate new information presented in a structured format for on job application. A blend of constructivist, cognitive and experiential learning philosophies is employed for teaching and learning.
- It is the combination of contact sessions and supervised distance learning.
- The strategies adopted in the program, encourage critical thinking, analytical skills and application of knowledge.
- The course is developed in the context of current management issues faced by healthcare professionals and provides opportunity for practical application of concepts in real life situations.
- During the contact sessions opportunities are provided to enhance learning through various methods such as plenary sessions, group discussions, case studies, panel discussions and field visits
- The education material focuses on the REST approach, whereby research, education and systems are followed by training at the work place.
The REST approach is followed for teaching purposes
- Enable the students to learn the fundamentals of research.
- Undertake research on issues related to healthcare management, Public Health and policy.
- Write reports, publishable research articles and/or dissertation.
- Enable the students to communicate (verbal and written) effectively and learn the concepts of Public Health.
- Understand the principles of adult learning, developing and evaluating educational activities and student assessment.
- Enable the students to adopt systems based approach towards management of healthcare organizations.
- Focus on various components of healthcare systems through structured learning.
Training and Development
- To apply learned concepts for improving management at the work place through Supervised Learning Assignments (SLA).
- Write reports on the changes implemented along with justification for changes, resistance encountered and measures taken to overcome.
- Conduct original research on Management/Public Health issue pertaining to the workplace area of residents.
After successful completion of program the participants will be able to:
- Analyze contemporary healthcare systems.
- Incorporate research as a mandatory tool for learning and sharing new information
- Use scientific and evidence based approach for provision of quality healthcare, which is efficient and cost-effective.
- Apply epidemiological and statistical concepts for better planning and management of health related issues.
- Apply principles of financial management, allocation of resources, priority setting and decision making.
- Use health information systems and technology for effective management of healthcare organization.
- Market healthcare services focusing on consumer behavior and needs.
- Apply concepts of human resource management in order to optimize performance.
- Effectively manage healthcare systems at different levels of care to achieve organizational goal and objectives.
- Medical and Dental graduates
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have at least two years post-graduate experience.
- Relevance of reasons given with program objectives for applying MCPS-HCSM
- Managerial experience
- Computer skills
Duration of this program is two and a half years spread over five semesters. Each year is divided into 2 semesters of 6 months duration. A hybrid approach is utilized for conducting the sessions in campus and online. The first month of the five Semesters has in campus contact session extending for 2 weeks. Classes during the contact sessions are conducted from 09:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Saturday. Online sessions are continued on weekends till the completion of teaching hours. Research is a mandatory requirement and is conducted as a Capstone Project.
The program consists of two essential components:
The courses in all semesters are so organized that each carry, 10 credit hours. The second and fifth semesters have Capstone 1 and Capstone 2 respectively. Capstone 1 ends with formation of synopsis and Capstone 2 ends in article publication of an original research article in CPSP approved Journals.
Research is an integral part of the Membership program in HCSM and students are required to pass courses of Biostatistics, Epidemiology to be enrolled in the Capstone Project. SPSS training is also imparted to the students for data entry and analysis.
Award of Membership Program MCPS-HCSM
The student shall be admitted to the “Membership of the College in Healthcare Systems Management (MCPS–HCSM)” by the CPSP Council upon successful completion of all the courses offered in the program with CGPA of 3.00 or above and evidence of an original article published/accepted to be published in CPSP approved Medical Journals.
Improvement of CGPA to Become Eligible for the Award
If a student secures CGPA of less than 3.00, he/she will be required to retake any course/s with grade points less than 3.00 to increase the GPA to a minimum required level of 3.00.
Issuance of Certificates
Individual transcript for the semester taken shall be issued to the student at the completion of each semester. This transcript shall not be an official document to produce for credit hours, transfer or employment purposes.
Provisional certificate shall be issued to the student by the college after successful completion of all the semesters of the program and research with minimum CGPA of 3.00.
Final transcript shall be issued after successful completion of the program, which includes and will present a comprehensive and detailed record of the courses taken i.e. GPA obtained in each semester and the cumulative GPA.
MCPS Diploma Certificate
Successful students who are elected by the college council as diploma holders are honored by offering them a diploma certificate in yearly held convocation. Examination department will notify the students in this regard.
Payments must be made in the name of “College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan” through pay order or demand draft or UBL Challan at HQ.
All enquiries should be directed to
Assistant Program Coordinator-HCSM
Department of Medical Education
College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan
7th Central street, D.H.A. Phase - ll, Karachi-75500.
UAN:111-606-606, Ext. 235, 287
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.cpsp.edu.pk