CPSP International Training Program
International Scholarship Programme at University Hospitals Birmingham (UHB)
International Training Fellowships January 2020 APPLY ONLINE
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) is pleased to announce it has partnered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan to deliver a bespoke International Fellowship Training Programme in Emergency Medicine for CPSP trainees and fellows.
- UHB is one of the largest university teaching hospital Trusts in the UK, and has an international reputation and recognition for postgraduate training in healthcare.
- The Trust operates Emergency Departments across its three hospital sites: the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital and Good Hope Hospital. The three Emergency Departments include a Major Trauma Centre at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, with Trauma Units at the other two hospital sites.
- Our departments are award winning and have received awards for Excellence in Urgent and Emergency Care in the 2018 British Medical Journal and NHS Parliamentary Awards.
- The Emergency Medicine International Training Fellowship provides fellows the opportunity to develop their clinical skills, knowledge, and experience within UHB’s fast paced Emergency Departments. The intensive training programme is led by experienced Emergency Medicine consultants across the Trust.
- The two year Fellowship includes a structured six month intensive training period containing a mixture of taught and hands on teaching sessions (both classroom-based and departmental), external training courses, and gateway assessments - aimed to ensure safe transition into independent clinical practise and training within the Emergency Departments.
- The programme is designed to ensure all competencies of Emergency Medicine are covered, as well as inducting fellows to the UHB units, NHS and the UK. The fellowship includes exposure to: Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Trauma and the appropriate management of Primary Care patients.
- The next intake of the Emergency Medicine Training Fellowship will commence in January 2020.
Applications are invited from trainees who are enrolled on the FCPS training programme and meet the English Language criteria set by the General Medical Council (GMC).
Eligibility and application process
- 1. The programme is open to all fellows and trainees registered with CPSP.
- 2. Successful applicants will be sponsored by UHB for full GMC registration as this is a hands-on programme. Applicants must therefore satisfy the English language requirement of the GMC by gaining a satisfactory score in either IELTS or OET (see point 8 below).
- 3. Candidates must provide evidence of their experience which must be supported by the log book available with the College. The College may seek additional information.
- 4. Candidates must be in good standing with the College.
- 5. Selection will be based on interview and the final decision will be made by the College.
- 6. Interviews will be conducted at CPSP Regional centres at Islamabad, Lahore, and Karachi commencing 25th September.
- 7. Successful candidates will be required to give an undertaking to the College and UHB that they will return to Pakistan on completion of their training.
- 8. IMM is Mandatory.
Please refer to the table below for the minimum levels in each of the tests that are accepted by the UHB:
IELTS Minimum Score Listening 7.0 Reading 7.0 Writing 7.0 Speaking 7.0 Overall 7.5 OET Minimum Score Listening B Reading B Writing B Speaking B Overall B
Closing Date for Applications
- Applications must be submitted by Monday 9th September 2019
- All applications MUST be full, completed and submitted online to the College using the UHB application form.
- As stated above, if you would like access to the video providing more detailed information on the fellowship programme please email firstname.lastname@example.org